Friday, January 26, 2024

The Zero Waste Overhaul

Hello, Friends!

It has been WAY TOO LONG. 

Seriously, the last post on here was August, 2022??

But hey, regardless of the length of the hiatus, I always seem to make my way back here. So here we are again  - my life has changed drastically (and for the better in many ways!) since the last post, but, funnily enough, this post is kind of in the same category as the August one. 

About a year ago I started getting interested in minimalism - inspired by "The Unstuffed Podcast" by Renee Benes. One thing led to another (like things do), and I started falling down the low/zero waste/low impact/anti-consumer rabbit hole. I started realizing what a large footprint I have taken up in my whole life with all the paper towels I've used and wasted, miles worth of toilet paper I've flushed away, thoughtless purchases I've made from less-than-reputable sources, food I've thrown away, and more. 

As I have learned more, I have changed more. That's what living a life glorifying to the LORD is all about, isn't it? You know better, you do better. Healing and growing, that's what you might say I've been up to lately. 

So I started making permanent changes. I didn't want to use my new knowledge to satisfy some short-term "do-gooder" gratification for a dopamine hit that will fade away, I wanted this to be long-lasting, and well-thought out series of permanent changes. You've heard the saying, "It's not a phase, Mom!" (this time, it's not!)

I am by no means where I want to be yet. But slow and steady wins the race. Just like I can't decorate our new apartment in a cozy mid century modern moody eclectic interior style all from Facebook Marketplace in one day, I can't swap years of wasteful habits for time- and money-saving, zero/low waste habits in a short amount of time. I simply haven't the time or, frankly, the money. Sorry, bare living room walls.


But I have made significant changes - and here is a little post to share what I have already swapped!

I hope you enjoy ~ 


Toilet paper // Bidet

This one was by far the most intimidating change! About 2 years ago we went to a friends house who had one and I was too scared to even use it! When I first used ours, I'll admit I screamed. A bit dramatic, maybe. But second usage forward, I knew what to expect, and it was no problem. I still use a little toilet paper to 'dab' the water away, but am looking into a solution to wipe with something reusable! Here is the link for the one we got - it was only $30 on sale at the time!



Paper napkins // Cloth napkins

This one was so easy to switch. We have a little basket under our drink cart, we just put the used ones in there as a little dirty hamper. When it comes time to wash our usual laundry, I will empty those into the big load. I found some on sale for 50% off on Amazon, so I bought two for the price of one! We have a total of 24 and it is just plenty for two adults with our laundry schedule. 


Tissues // Cloth Handkerchiefs

I have a sensitive little schnoz, and frequently blow my nose. I used to always have a tissue box in the car, in my room, in our bathroom, and in the living room. On Facebook Marketplace I found a seller who was listing 37 vintage cloth handkerchiefs for like $15! Not only that, but 7 out of the bunch had the letter "A" embroidered on them, like it was meant to be! I keep a basket of clean hankies on my bedside table, I will grab one to go with me to my workdesk, and the the dirty ones I toss in a mini basket beneath the table as a little hamper. Side note: I also keep dirty baby socks and adult socks in here, all the contents will be put in laundry bags so they don't get lost in the laundry!


Daily Liners // Cloth Pads

This one was also one of the more intimidating switches. I was worried I would not be able to keep things hygienic. I ran these through the laundry a few times, and then read that they are hand-wash only. I got them from an Etsy seller. Now I have a pretty easy and hygienic routine for cleaning and using these, and I'm so happy I made the switch. Cloth pads are so expensive, plus they contribute a LOT of waste, this is one of the switches I am most proud of! In the photo, I have had them for several weeks, and they are wearing just fine.


Menstrual pads // Menstrual disk

Talk about daily liners being expensive and contributing waste - try doubling it with the size and cost of menstrual pads! I swapped these out and got a re-usable Flex disk. I tried the disposable ones a few years ago and have used them on and off, but when I went full swing into the zero-waste pursuit, I got a reusable Flex disk for 30 bucks (believe me.. it has already paid itself off). I will wear this thing every month along with a reusable cloth pad from above during my period, boil the disk to sanitize and remove any odors, then stash it away in the little cloth baggie it came with until next month.


Paper plates // Glass plates only

I know what you're thinking, what about all the dishes that need to be washed. And I get it, but seriously it's not that bad. I do pretty well at keeping a routine so they never get piled up too terribly. Plus, we are only two adults, the dishes just don't add up that quickly. 


Plastic To-Go Cups // Reusable

First, it supports our local coffee scene. Second, it's free advertising for said coffee business. Third, it is a reliable and sturdy, reusable way to cut down on plastic to get your to-go coffee! Its' a win-win-win! Mine is a 16 oz which can contain most to-go drinks, and it is sporting one of our favorite shops here in our area - Sump Coffee!


Honorable mentions: 

- Reusable shopping bags

- Saving packing material, strings, and random ribbons to wrap presents

- Skipping the plastic produce bags for reusable produce bags

- Bar soap instead of pump soap (for shampoo, body wash, conditioner, and hand soap!)

- Asking for "no bag" when shopping with a cashier - they will bag items by default unless you say something!

--------

I hope you enjoyed this list! I am so excited to continue this journey.. the goal is to produce as little waste as possible. And honestly it's so fun! I look at life through a new lens. Going about my daily life and I will ask myself "can I get a version of this that is reusable? More cost effective? Less wasteful?"

Usually the answer is yes! 

I should do another post soon, to catch up on some new life things. One of which you might have caught mentioned above.. I had a baby! I won't share all the details now, but said baby was born in June 2023. I will have to do an update post soon! 

Let me know what you think of this lifestyle switch, and which switch above is your favorite or which one you relate to!

-Amaris ☆ //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...