Tuesday, September 4, 2018

An Interesting Summer

Hello there, people!

This post is a peek into my Summer of 2018. The Summer in which I spent a lot of time NOT blogging. :P In fact, I've not only failed to write my own blog, but I've neglected reading blogs as well. So if I haven't been commenting on your blog posts lately, I apologize. I still love you all!

Not my photo- taken from Pinterest
It's just been really busy and so much has changed in my life. Like, for real. I think I've changed more in the past 8 months or so than I ever have. Except maybe when I was a toddler. Hehe. :)

Anyways. My Summer has been an interesting time. For one, because it's the first Summer that I've owned a smartphone, and (I don't know if you've noticed this, but) smartphones have a way of influencing your every day life.
So, it's just been... I don't know, different. But good.

// Summer of 2018 //

Not my photo- taken from Pinterest
// Movies //

As of August 15th (the day I am originally writing this post), I have watched 42 movies this year! That might not sound like much to some people, but it's certainly a lot for me! In 2017 I literally watched like, 10 movies.
But anyways! Here are just a few of my favorites from this Summer.

July 9th: Big (1988)
 This movie was literally so cute it had me and my sister laughing and crying. It's safe to say this is one of my favorite Tom Hanks movies. There is a bit of content, so I would read a review first. But it's literally, like, 3 things. :) We loved it. 

July 16th: The Terminal (2004)
 It's not surprising that me and my sister loved this Tom Hanks movie as well. We loved it so much we even watched it a second time the next week to show it to Mom! Thankfully, this one is even cleaner than 'Big' and definitely worth the cuss word or two.

July 19th: Big Eyes (2014)
 Oh my goodness, I just adored this movie. It was so sad and heart wrenching, and I just wanted to hug the main character and the story was so FRUSTRATING but it ended up ok which was amazing! I also loved Amy Adams in this movie. I'm pretty sure the only reason it got the PG-13 rating, was because of one really loud f-word. But other than that, I loved this one. 

July 21st: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966)
Even though Westerns aren't my thing, it was really enjoyable to watch this one because not only is it a timeless and iconic classic, it's also my mom's favorite movie of all time (which I don't really understand because she doesn't even like Westerns...??? Who knew..). It's also the first R-rated movie I've ever seen without a filter. Not sure if that counts for any accomplishment, but. *shrug*

Not my photo- taken from Pinterest
 // I Taught At Vacation Bible School //

...and it was such a good experience. I learned so much and made a really good friend through it! Me and my friend, Maggie, wrote the lessons from scratch to teach the kids each day (we taught the lessons as well as wrote them, me and Maggie), instead of using curriculum lessons!

Maggie and I began meeting about twice a week at her house starting late in April to figure out/write the lessons.
We knew that God was telling us to teach the kids stories that inspired them to fall in love with God, instead the idea of being saved and going to heaven. Heaven, after all, is just a side bonus. The real reward is serving God with your life.

But anyways! After weeks (months...?) of studying and preparing our props and our lessons (we had skits and props and visuals to go along with our custom lessons of course!) the VBS in July went very smoothly.
It was truly so fulfilling to be used by God in such a way!
I know I would rather come up with my own lessons for kids anytime rather than just read from a curriculum script, because then I will be able to teach from what I have already learned about God.

Photo credit: me
// I Dyed My Hair //

... for the first time ever! Unfortunately, it didn't come out according to the picture I showed the salon worker. It doesn't look bad, but definitely different than what I asked her to do. The color that she used is growing on me, however, and I'm able to dress 'the new hair' up to look pretty good.
I also got it cut as well as colored, so it's been fun having low-maintenance hair again!

Photo of me taken by me, taken from my Instagram
// I Started Drawing Again //

...and I also created a Tumblr to post my lil drawings on! It's quite a small ordeal (I have 0 followers right now XD), but I mostly created it to motivate myself to keep drawing! I've been practicing mostly eyes lately, and if you follow my Instagram, you've probably seen a few examples.
I kind of explain the reason for taking up drawing again in the synopsis of my Tumblr blog:

"My whole life, I would be off and on with drawing. Here and there I would get a burning, passionate motivation to draw, so I would. For awhile. The Summer of 2018 I decided to take drawing more seriously and enhance my skills through more consistent practice, and I figured a blog would help motivate me. I hope you enjoy what you see, feel free to comment but please be nice... I am learning. Thank you!"

Drawing by me, photo by me, taken from my Tumblr.
If you like drawings of eyes and have a Tumblr account, go follow me! :)

---

Well, that's about it. I didn't do a whole lot of note-worthy things this Summer, but to wrap things up, here are a few more small things I did that might be interesting.

-I went to an outdoor theater for the first time ever!! It was such a blissful and relaxing experience. The breeze the night we went was absolutely wonderful!

-I have been getting to know the area I live in. You might remember my family moved back in May. I was quite unfamiliar with the area surrounding our new apartment, but the past couple of months I've been discovering more things around here. There are some great restaurants as well as a movie theater almost next door to us!

-I went to our local Science Center to see an exhibit about Apollo 11 and the Moon! They had the entire Apollo 11 Command Module there on display. It was pretty neat, and I learned a lot. The moon is kind of my thing, so it was very fun. :) We also saw a very informative and cute documentary about pandas, because they have a giant IMAX theater at the Science Center.

---

Not my photo - Taken from Pinterest
As you can see, it was a good Summer. I am still working at my job at the embroidery shop, and I'm going to be serving at my local AWANA club as the Sparks Director. I am looking forward to Fall and Winter!

Thank you for reading!

-Amaris

6 comments:

  1. What, you are so pretty! I hadn't seen your face before. Not only are you pretty, but your face also looks gentle and kind, 😁. I like your hair, that's the same color as mine and about how I want it cut, so now I can envision better how it would look. What is your natural color? (Don't answer if you want to keep that private)
    I didn't know you drew. I love drawing eyes, too! Yours looks amazing. I always draw eyes on my math, 😂. I posted one of my math eyes and someone was like " hmm.... That looks nice... But I think you were supposed to be paying attention to something else..." OKAY, okay....
    I'll have to check out those films you liked. My mom probably has seen some of them, she likes the style of most of Tom Hanks' films. I think she's been disappointed in the last three she's watched with my dad, because there's been a bit too much "content". If she hasn't seen these she might like them! I haven't seen many, just Apollo 13 (with a filter) and Saving Mr Banks. Have you seen those?
    😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria:
      Thank you so much! The day I took that picture of myself, I was having fun with makeup, so that's probably why I look so good. :D
      My natural color is cool toned brown. It's very similar to the brown that's at the top of my hair in that picture. :)
      I used to draw eyes on my schoolwork too! They were never very good, but at least they made math a little more fun, haha!
      Yes, Tom Hanks is such a good actor, but unfortunately most of his movies need a filter. :P :P :P
      I have seen Apollo 13 and Saving Mr. Banks! Apollo 13 is one of my favorites, because I just love the history behind it, and space history/exploration movies are always a hit with me. :)
      Thank you for the lovely comment, I hope you have a good day!
      -Amaris

      Delete
  2. "The Summer in which I spent a lot of time NOT blogging." saaaaaame. Also yes iPhone's change your world.
    I LOVE the Terminal, like a lot. A lot lot. Big Eyes is an interesting one :P
    Okay doing things like VBS and just working with children in general is so challenging and amazing and fun and aggravating and rewarding!
    *I* for one think your hair is simply lovely.
    And yes drawing... *tries to remember what drawing is* I've only drawn a little this Summer, but it's been fun. If I did Tumbler, I'd follow you, but I don't. Feel free to send me what you do tho!
    An outdoor theater? That sounds neato! And your Apollo 11 posts on instagram made me quite jealous. If one good thing came out of this summer, it's been getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa:
      Yes, this Summer has been quite interesting with my new phone... but in a good way. ;)
      The Terminal is sooo sweet. I love when Hanks plays innocent sweet characters like that. *cri* It's just so cute!
      Working with children is usually as rewarding as it is tiring, thankfully. :D But it's a good time over all.
      Not a lot of people seem to have Tumblr. :P I guess it's one of the less popular social media sites. I still have no followers. XD But I'm having fun posting anyways, and it's keeping me motivated, which is what I was hoping it would do!!
      I'm so happy to hear that you are interested in seeing my drawings! I am trying to think of ways that I can share more drawing stuff on my Instagram without spamming people, haha!
      Thank you so much for those sweet and kind words! The internet is interesting... you never know where or when you might make a friend who means so much to you, even if you've never met them in person!! I feel the same about you, dear! :) :) God has blessed me so much this Summer. <3
      -Amaris

      Delete
    2. Yeeeessssss I do too! He's such a sweetheart in it.

      Truth.

      Yeah I don't have it because I've heard some iffy things about it. Plus I already spend too much time on social media lol.

      Yes well you can send them directly to me whenever you like!

      The internet is *very* interesting, and this time in a great way! Yes, and maybe one day we can meet in person. Same here! <3
      ~Lissa

      Delete
    3. Yeah I've heard some things about Tumblr too. I'm just ignoring it, lol!! :D
      Oh, well then I will send you my drawings if you're truly interested!
      I try to draw as much as possible. Sometimes it's not more than 2 or 3 times a week, but I just purchased a class with an artists guild where I live, so I will be learning more! And hopefully, I will be able to practice more, with the motivation of the class. :)
      I would love to meet in person one day!! I will look forward to that time. :) :)
      -Amaris

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...