Friday, March 15, 2019

2018 Movies

Hey everyone. I did a thing.
That thing was that I decided at the beginning of 2018 (yes, that's last year) I wanted to keep track of all the movies I watched, and what I think of them. 
You know, just for funsies. 
Here's the list.

It's long, I know.
Don't @ me.

(Note: Please do your own research before watching these, especially with younger movie watchers. Every movie title in this post links to the review from either Plugged In Online, or the Parent's Guide section from IMDB. Thanks, peeps!)

January:

January 1st: Priceless (2016)
Not my favorite Christian flick. I love the heart and inspiration behind it, but the story felt flat and slightly cheesy according to my standards. It kept me interested, so that was good, but that still didn't redeem it, in my opinion. 3/10

January 17th: Forrest Gump (1994)
A rewatch. Seriously considering naming this my personal 'favorite movie of all time'. There are some skip-worthy moments for sure, but I would say the movie as a whole is worth it. 10/10

January 20th: The Greatest Showman (2017)
As far as I'm concerned, this movie can be called "The Greatest Musical Amaris Has Ever Seen That Doesn't Annoy The Heck Out of Her". 8/10

Total Movies: 3

The Greatest Showman


February:

February 14th: You've Got Mail (1998)
So freaking cute. A great remake of the old 'Shop Around the Corner'. A few cuss words to watch out for, but mostly clean. 8/10

February 15th: The Young Victoria (2009)
Captured my heart completely. So, so beautiful. (Gimme that Prince Albert right now pls) 9/10

February 22nd: Walt Before Mickey (2015)
Wasn't sure if I should put this on the list, cause I didn't finish it. A huge shame. Not the hidden Netflix gem I was hoping it would be, and not worth my time at all. 0/10

February 23rd: Wonder (2017)
A very sweet movie. Probably wouldn't watch it again, tho. Just don't care enough. 6/10

February 23rd: Gifted (2017)
A very sweet little movie. The little girl was adorable. Some cuss words, a lil bit of sexuality, but mostly ok. 5/10

February 24th: Cast Away (2000)
1. 'WILLLLSOOONNNN'. 2. Out of all the FedEx boxes that got washed up on the island, he saved 'the special one' in the hopes of delivering it one day, 3. Kelly's picture inspired him to keep living. A Tom Hanks masterpiece. 8/10

Jebruary 25th: The Glass Castle (2017)
Frustrated me on so many levels, this movie. The characters, the story, the content, everything. The soundtrack was pretty, tho. And I love all the actresses who played the main girl. 4/10

Total Movies: 6.5

The Young Victoria


March

March 2nd: Bruce Almighty (2003)
VidAngel blocked out so much it was kinda hard to watch. Kinda funny during some parts. We had an issue of some false doctrine going on though. Sorry Morgan Freeman, but it doesn't say "be your own miracle" anywhere in the Bible. 2/10

March 4th: Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Way more morbid than I was expecting; but I somehow still liked it. The actors were good, the soundtrack, the cinematography, all beautiful. (Extra point because I also liked how it brought me back to the old days when I read 'Poirot Investigates' for school in 10th grade.) 9/10

March 7th: Sense & Sensibility (1995)
Didn't like it as much as Price & Prejudice, but it was lovely, just the same. 7.5/10

March 17th: The American President (1995)
Save yourself the trouble and just watch the trailer; the only good parts in this movie are in there. 3/10

March 22nd: Turner and Hooch (1989)
Sweet, adorable, hilarious. Theres is some content but it's worth a watch with a filter. 8/10

March 24th: The Imitation Game (2014) 
A re-watch. Still as good as I remember it from a few months ago. I'll reference you to this post for my full opinion. 9/10

Total Movies: 6

Murder on the Orient Express


April

April 5th: August Rush (2007)
It's so good. It's emotional, it's gripping, it's heartrending. Yet, these 'lost and found' type of movies always kinda frustrate me. There are always so many 'almost' moments. Kinda reminded me of one of those emotional dog movies. Still really good tho. 8/10
April 7th: I Can Only Imagine (2018)
Way better than I expected. It tells the story of MercyMe's Bart Millard, and the events that eventually led up to him writing one of the greatest Christian songs, I Can Only Imagine. Would highly recommend. 10/10

April 14th: Catch Me If You Can (2002)
My family and I really enjoyed this fascinating depiction of Frank Abagnale, who becomes a master con-man with fraud before he turned 19. We watched it with VidAngel, and I'm glad we did because I did NOT want to see some of the stuff I cut out. Anyways, if you've got a filter, give it a try! 9/10

Total Movies: 3

Catch Me If You Can


May

May 4th: The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015)
Wasn't great, but very beautifully put together. Story line kinda bored me. 3/10

May 5th: Paddington 2 (2017)
Saw this while babysitting. It was pretty cute, in spite of being a bit cliche. 4/10

May 25th: The King's Speech (2010)
I loved this one. It was written beautifully, acted with such talent, and the story had me very interested. 10/10

May 26th: Sherlock Holmes (2009) 
It was ok. There were too many 'convenient' things. The fighting and action sequences were a bit too choreographed, which I found annoying. I enjoyed RDJ in this movie tho. 6/10

Total Movies: 4

The King's Speech


June

June 12: Titanic (1997)
Third time watching. I love this movie and it still gets me right here in the feels every freaking time. 10/10
June 13th: The Money Pit (1986)
A bit funny during some parts, but too sensual and dumb to watch again. 2/10

June 13th: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
An actual gem!! So sweet, adorable, and sad. It reminded me of what I like about old old movies. 10/10

June 16th: The Incredibles (2004)
This was my favorite superhero movie growing up (cause it was the only one I was allowed to watch haha), and I still really liked it when we watched it after all those years. 8/10
June 17th: The Incredibles 2 (2018)
I really liked it. It was kinda feminist (which I'm not), but I really enjoyed watching. 8/10

June 20th: Jurassic World (2015)
I feel like this movie is put together well and it's a fun experience for a family movie night, but over all it's not super great. 5/10

June 28th: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
A re-watch. This is the best old Don Knotts movie, in my opinion. The ghost story used to really scare me as a child, but it's funny now. I guess that means I'm a grownup...? 7/10

Total Movies: 7

Breakfast at Tiffany's




July

July 4th: The 'Burbs (1989)
I didn't enjoy this one very much. There are way better Tom Hanks movies out there for anyone who wants to watch a classic.

July 9th: Big (1988)
Soooo cute and hilarious. It made my sister and I laugh and cry. We loved it. Watch out for a kid says the f word once, tho. 10/10

July 14th: The Bucket List (2007)
I kinda liked it because it was sweet and had a good message, but I kinda disliked it cause there was some sexy stuff and language. So idk. 5/10

July 16th: The Terminal (2004)
A great Tom Hanks movie. Super sweet and 10/10

July 17th: The Circle (2017)
This movie annoyed me. Is it supposed to be the future? I'm not sure I understood the ending? Is the movie saying that no privacy is good or bad? Why does Mae change her mind about who she stands for and what she believes in so much? So many questions?  1/10

July 19th: Big Eyes (2014)
Such a touching and beautiful movie. I loved Amy Adams. The setting was beautiful, the story was heart-gripping (ending with happiness!), the acting was great. Yes, yes yes.   9/10

July 19th: A Hologram for the King (2016)
It wasn't the greatest Tom Hanks movie. There were some sweet moments, but I wasn't fond of the ending, and plus I had to skip a couple of things which makes it hardly worth my time anyways. 3/10

July 19th: The Man With One Red Shoe (1985)
Another 'Not the Greatest Tom Hanks Movie' movie. A complete wasted evening, if you ask me. Too many dumb and sexual things. Even Carrie Fisher didn't make things better. 0/10

July 21st: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
Even if Western isn't my thing, it's easy to see why this is my Mom's favorite movie. It was definitely a classic, really gripping and kept me on my toes. I really enjoyed the experience, if I'm being honest. 8/10

July 28th: Hello, My Name is Doris (2015)
There were a lot of cute things about this movie, and I enjoyed those parts but on the flip side of things the ending kinda annoyed me plus there was some sexy stuff as well as language, so the good parts weren't worth it. 4/10

Total Movies: 10

The Terminal


August

August 2nd: Jaws (1975)
I really like sharks, and I really like this movie. I don't know why. 7/10

August 10th: Christopher Robin (2018)
It brought back good memories but on the other hand I almost fell asleep watching it because it was super slow. Really cute tho. 3/10

August 31st: Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Me and my sister impulsively decided to watch this one late evening after getting frozen yogurt together mainly so we could laugh at the funny emo segments. It's not a horrible movie, to be honest. But Marvel can do (and has done) a lot better. 5/10

Total Movies: 3

Christopher Robin


September

September 2nd: The Meg (2018)
It was no 'Jaws'. But I did like some of the character development, a few of the jump-scares, and the main character did a good job, in my opinion. Over all, it wasn't a bad movie, and I had a good time  cause I saw it in theaters with my brother. 4/10

Total movies: 1


The Meg


October

October 7th: Sleepless in Seattle  (1996)
It was sweet, but also unsatisfying. I really wished for some cute couple moments between Tom Hanks and the girl. 'Big' and 'The Terminal' are much better if you like romantic Tom Hanks. 5/10

October 12: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)
I realllly loved this movie! And I hold the (apparently popular) opinion that this movie does the book justice. It's great if you like period dramas, romances, WWII movies, or just sweet movies. 9.5/10

October 15th: Larry Crowne (2011)
Sooo funny and cute. I still like 'Big' and 'The Terminal' better for romantic Tom Hanks, but this one is really close to those two. 7.5/10

Total Movies: 3

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


November

November 4th & 24th: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Absolutely loved it! It had some content issues, so I would read the Plugged In review for this one, especially before watching it with younger viewers. But apart from this, one of my favorite movies this year. The theater experience really added to the music, I felt like I wanted to get up and dance! It's hard to walk away from this movie not a Queen fan.10/10

November 22nd: A Knight's Tale (2001)
It had some pretty cute parts, and a few really funny parts, but nothing great enough to make me care to see it again. Heath Ledger tho. *nods* yes. 3.5/10

Total Movies: 2

Bohemian Rhapsody


December

December 14th: Letters to Juliet (2010)
I remember watching this movie when it first came out, and being the young, romance-loving person I was at the age of 12-14, I was absolutely obsessed at the time. This was my first time watching it again since then, and although Charlie was not as ravishingly handsome as I remember, the plot not quite so capturing, it was still really, really sweet. It brought back sweet memories, and I just  liked the story. It wasn't great, but I liked it. I also might have shed a small nostalgic tear or two. But you mustn't tell. 7.5/10

December 14th: That Thing You Do! (1996)
Didn't really go crazy for this one. The story kinda dragged on, and it was a little weird overall. I loved Liv Tyler's character, tho; and *spoiler* I loved how she got together with that drummer boi - super cute *end of spoiler*. 3.5/10

Total Movies: 2

Letters to Juliet


~*~

Grand Total:  
50.5 Movies

There you are, folks. Yeah, I know I should've posted this in January. But I'm not that late. Anyways, my plan worked! I watched way more movies in 2018! It was a good year.
Well, thanks for sticking around to the end, peeps.

I'll be back sometime on this blog.
When? I don't know.
But sometime.

-Amaris


Have you seen any of the movies on my list? What are your opinions of them? 



4 comments:

  1. Great post! I don't agree with each of your opinions, but overall I think we have a generally similar taste. So cool you kept track! I watch too many movies, so I don't really keep track lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I get that! To each his own. Yeah, I'm kind of back to watching hardly any movies now that I'm done with last year's goal. Maybe next year (2020)I'll keep track again because it was fun! Thanks for reading, and commenting!
      -Amaris

      Delete
  2. Ooh, you watched some of my favorites! I love Letters to Juliet....And The Greatest Showman.....and Guernsey (Although, I contest that they left out so much details from the book, while still making a lovely movie which I loved! I was so happy that they hugely cleaned up the language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was such a good year for movies! :D Yes, Guernsey isn't exactly like the book, but then what movie adaption is? It was good overall I think. :)
      -Amaris

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...